Municipal Plans Hierarchy, Planning & Development Processes

Land use planning in Alberta must follow plans at both the Provincial and Municipal levels of government.

With the implementation of the Provincial Land Use Framework and the Alberta Land Stewardship Act, some planning decisions will be made at the regional level as well. Land use may also be subject to other federal and provincial regulations.

The list below, with links, outlines the Village of Innisfree's hierarchy of Land Use planning decisions:

Municipal Government Act

The Municipal Government Act (MGA) is the legislative framework in which all municipalities across the Province of Alberta operate. It provides the governance model for municipalities and lays the foundation of how we function, including areas of planning and development.

The MGA identifies the hierarchy and relationship of statutory plans, so that each plan will be consistent with the plans above it and, in the event of an inconsistency, which provisions in what plan will prevail.

Provincial Land Use Framework

The Land-Use Framework (LUF) sets out an approach to managing the province's land and natural resources to achieve Alberta’s long-term economic, environmental and social goals. The LUF established seven new land-use regions and calls for the development of a regional plan for each.

North Saskatchewan Regional Plan

The regional plan sets out a new approach for managing the lands and natural resources to achieve the province's long-term environmental, economic and social goals. 

The North Saskatchewan Region is located in central Alberta and has approximately 85,780 square kilometres, or just under 13 per cent of Alberta's total land base. The region is bordered by Saskatchewan to the east, British Columbia to the west, the Upper Athabasca and the Lower Athabasca regions to the north and the South Saskatchewan and Red Deer regions to the south (and includes the Village of Innisfree.) The region has a large and diverse landscape, which contains the Rocky Mountains, rolling foothills and prairie parkland.   

Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework

The ICF is a tool to facilitate cooperation between neighbouring municipalities to ensure municipal services are provided to residents efficiently and cost effectively. The goal is to enable municipalities to collaborate regarding service delivery and cost-sharing.

Intermunicipal Development Plan

All municipalities sharing a common boundary, effective March 31, 2020 (for urban municipalities, and effective March 31, 2021 for rural municipalities) were required to adopt an IDP between the municipalities. An IDP is a statutory plan that establishes any conflict relating to planning activities within or around another Municipality; and, ensures orderly development by reducing unnecessary costs and negative impacts on either municipality.

Municipal Development Plan

The MDP is a statutory plan that establishes policies for land use and other matters for the entire municipality. It is a high level document that provides leadership and direction in the preservation of environmentally sensitive areas and provisions for the infrastructure necessary to encourage sustainable and economic development.

Local Area Structure Plan(s):

         Land Use Bylaw

The LUB is a planning tool that helps implement the goals in the land use plans and regulates development within the Village. All parcels of land are divided into different districts; each district consists of development regulations and permitted or discretionary uses to be considered.

*Revised Land Use District Map


Land Use Bylaw Amendments

      Bylaw 644

      Bylaw 646

      Bylaw 655


Other Pertinent Village Bylaws:

      Development Authority Bylaw

      Subdivision Authority Bylaw

      Regional Subdivision & Development Appeal Board Bylaw


Property Related Bylaws:

  • Municipal Utilities:

            Water & Wastewater Bylaw 618-16

Amending Water & Wastewater Bylaw 650-20

Solid Waste Management Bylaw 621-16

  • Property Maintenance:

Snow Removal Bylaw 593-13

Unsightly Premises Bylaw 599-15

Noise Control Bylaw 622-16

  • Animal Control:

Animal Control Bylaw 680-23


Village Development-Related Policy:

      Commercial Development Incentive Policy

              Commercial Development Incentive Application Form


Village Property-Related Policy:

Snow Removal Policy 3200-01

Snow Removal Policy 3200-01 - Snow Removal Map

Snow Removal Policy 3200-01 - Liability Release Application


Permit/Applications Forms:

      Village of Innisfree Development Permit

      Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application


Permit Information:

The Village of Innisfree Land Use Bylaw requires that anyone who is building or demolishing any type of structure, to apply for and secure approval of a Development Permit prior to starting a project.

A Development Permit addresses such issues as restrictions pursuant to the Land Use Bylaw with regards to Zoning, setbacks, parking, etc. 

A Building Permit addresses legislation under the Alberta Building Code with regards to construction, materials, etc., and provides inspection services to ensure the project complies with Provincial legislation.

The Village can advise or direct a Developer to a Safety Codes Officer on whether or not a project requires a Building Permit, which is facilitated by a registered Safety Codes Inspection Company in Alberta.

Development Permit Process:

A Development Permit is required prior to a Building Permit application. This applies to:

  • any structure that exceeds 10.0 m2 (107.6 square feet);
  • demolition or removal of any structure;
  • moving in of any structure (i.e. mobile or Ready-to-Move (RTM) homes);
  • a deck with a height of 0.6 m (2.0 ft.) or greater above grade; 
  • change of use of land or building;
  • building alterations or additional building on a lot;
  • any increase in the number of households occupying and living in any building or on any site, and any construction or alterations or additions that would provide for an increase in the number of households which could occupy and live in any building or on any site, including any increase in the number of dwelling units in a building or on a site;
  • the removal of top soil from land; and,
  • an excavation or stockpile and the creation of either of them.

A Development Permit requires the following information:

  • a Site Plan showing the legal description; the front, rear and side yards, if any; any provision for off-street loading and vehicle parking; and access and egress points to the site;
  • building dimensions;
  • Description of the proposed development/project;
  • Authorization from the Owner if applicant is not the Owner of the Property; and
  • Contractor name and estimated cost of the development/project.

The Development Permit must be signed by an authorized Development Officer and issued to a Property Owner prior to the application of any of required Disciplines' Permits, (Building, Electrical, Plumbing Permits, etc.)

Please note: Development Permits require payment in full prior to application processing.

Note: It is the Property Owner's responsibility to locate the survey pins (boundaries) on/of their property.

All development within the Village of Innisfree must conform to Land Use Bylaw 628-17 and all Amending Land Use Bylaws, as listed above. Additional, detailed information is provided in the Land Use Bylaw.

Issuance of Development Permit:

The issuance of a Development Permit in accordance with the "Notice of Decision" provided by the Development Officer, is subject to the condition that it does not become effective until twenty-one (21) days after the date of issuance of the Notice of Decision.

This is to allow for any Person affected by the decision to be able to make an appeal, to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. 

An appeal shall be made by serving a written notice of appeal and submitting the applicable fee to the Secretary of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board within twenty-one (21) days after:

  • the date the order, decision or permit issued by the Development Authority was publicized in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw (LUB); or,
  • the forty (40) day period referred to in Section 4.3(7) of the LUB has expired.

This Permit would not become effective until the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board has determined the appeal; a Permit may be modified or nullified.

Permit Timeframe/Expiry:

If the Development authorized by a Permit is not commenced within twelve (12) months from the date of issuance, and completed within three (3) years of the date of issuance, the Permit is deemed to be void, unless an extension to this period is granted by the Development Authority.



Building and Other Disciplines' Permits:

The Village of Innisfree utilizes registered Safety Codes companies for the Provincial permitting services.

Once a Development Permit has been approved the Owner/Contractor shall submit a copy of the Permit in conjunction with application(s) for the Building Permit and associated disciplines' permit(s) to an approved Safety Codes Council office.


Please check out approved SCO Agencies serving the Village of Innisfree HERE.


1. Superior Safety Codes Inc. - online application

Superior Safety Codes Inc. may be contacted Toll free: 1-866-999-4777

Email Superior Safety Codes Inc. for information:

By Fax: 780-870-9036

2. The Inspections Group - online application

The Inspections Group may be contacted Toll Free: 1-866-554-5048

Email The Inspections Group for information:

By Fax: 1-866-454-5222


3. IJD Inspections Ltd. - online application

       IJD Inspections may be contacted Toll Free: 1-877-617-8776

       Email the IJD Inspections Ltd. for information:

       By Fax: 403-347-2533


Always remember to think "Safety First" before a Development is commenced:

Locate Underground Services:


Check for Power Lines and your safety:


If you are building a new house:

With the Government of Alberta's introduction of builder licensing on December 1, 2017, residential builders are required to have either a valid builder license or an Owner Builder Authorization in order to receive a Building Permit.

Owner builders constructing their own home can apply for an Owner Builder Authorization (OBA.) If an OBA application receives approval, an authorization certificate will be issued to the owner builder. The authorization allows owner builders to construct their own home, either with or without warranty.

Permit issuers are only able to provide the necessary permits if an authorization has been approved.

If you have any further questions, please contact program staff at:

The Builder Registry is an online source of information to search Alberta's licensed residential builders.


If you are Buying a new house:

Warranty coverage has been a requirement for every new home constructed in Alberta since February 1, 2014. The Property Registry allows prospective homeowners, builders, real estate professionals and financial institutions to search for:

  • Warranty status of a property
  • Information about which warranty provider is backing the property
  • The commencement date of warranty coverage

Was the home built by a licensed builder?  The Builder Registry allows homeowners, builders, real estate professionals and financial institutions to search for:

  • Builder's License status
  • Where the Builder has built homes
  • The number of previous home warranty registrations
  • If the Builder has any orders or administrative penalties issued under the new Home Buyer Protection Act and related Regulations.


Assessment Review Process

The assessment process establishes the value of a property in relation to other similar properties. The purpose of property assessment is to distribute property tax fairly among property owners in a municipality.

Upon receipt of the annual combined property assessment/tax form, it is important to review the property information to make sure the description of the property is accurate.

If the property information is not correct, contact the Municipality's Assessor, whose name and contact number is recorded on the back of the notice. Discuss any problems that might affect the property's value and find out if these problems were taken into account when the assessment was prepared. (The Assessor can re-inspect the property and correct the information if necessary.)

If the property owner and the Assessor do not reach an agreed upon valuation, the property owner has recourse, utilizing the Assessment Complaints Process to pursue further amendments.

To ensure property owners have a voice in the property assessment system, the Municipal Government Act has set out a "complaints and appeals system" for property owners who have concerns about their assessment.

Assessment complaints involve filing a complaint with the municipality's Assessment Review Board or the Composite Assessment Review Board. The type of property the complaint is about will determine the type of Assessment Review Board that will hear your complaint.

A Local Assessment Review Board will hear complaints for residential property with:

  • 3 or fewer dwelling units
  • farmland
  • a tax notice other than a property tax notice

A Composite Assessment Review Board will hear complaints for residential property with:

  • 4 or more dwelling units or,
  • any non-residential property

Assessment Review Board members and clerks are required to complete the training program approved by the Minister of Municipal Affairs.

The Village of Innisfree participates in a Regional Assessment Review Board that is legislated under Regional Assessment Review Board Bylaw 659-20.

Alberta Municipal Affairs has provided a publication on the process of filing a property assessment complaint and preparing for the hearing: 

Filing a property Assessment Complaint & Preparing for your Hearing.


Assessment Review Forms: 

Assessment Review Complaint Form

Assessment Compliance Review Form

Assessment Complaint Agent Authorization Form