Building & Development

Development Permit Application Steps:

STEP 1: Submit a Development Permit Application Form. 

  • Development Permit Application can be found HERE or by contacting the Village of Innisfree Administration office by phone: 780-592-3886 or by email: 

STEP 2: Completed Application will be reviewed by Development Officer.

  • Once the completed application is received, the Development Officer will review, and notify the applicant of their decision within the required time-frame (20 Days after receipt of the application). 

STEP 3: Application Complete Notification (20 days after receipt)

STEP 4: Permit Issued (Permitted Use & No Variances)

  • Approval (Discretionary Use or Variances-MPC):
    • 21 Day Appeal Period from date of decision
    • If No appeals, permit will be issued.
    • Appeal of Approval or Conditions to SDAB
      • Appeal Allowed (Permit Refused)
      • Appeal Denied (Approval as per Development Officer)
  • Refusal
    • No Further Action
    • Appeal to SDAB
      • Decision Upheld (permit refused)
      • Appeal Allowed (Permit Issued)



Permitted Use: means the use of land or a building provided for in a Land Use Bylaw for which a development permit shall be issued upon application having been made, provided that all of the regulations of this Bylaw, and all of the matters left to the discretion or the satisfaction of the Development Authority, have been satisfied to the satisfaction of the Development Authority;

Discretionary Use: means the use of land or a building provided for in this Land Use Bylaw for which a development permit may be issued with or without conditions, upon an application having been made, at the discretion of the Development Authority;

When Do I Need A Development Permit?

A Development Permit may be required for a number of different things; whether you want to build a new house, change the use of an existing building, or start a home business etc., a Development Permit may be required.  To determine if your development requires a permit, please see the Village of Innisfree Land Use Bylaw.

The Bylaw divides the Village into several Land Use Districts (commonly called Zones or Zoning) and each of these Districts have land uses and development regulations specific to them.  Contact the Village of Innisfree to determine what District you are in and whether your proposed development is PERMITTED or DISCRETIONARY.

PERMITTED: Development that is deemed by Council, to be appropriate for that particular District

DISCRETIONARY: Development that is up to the discretion of the Development Authority.

How do I Start?

The process begins with a REQUIRED Pre-Application meeting.  This meeting with the Development Officer is essential to ensure you have filled out all necessary forms completely and have provided all required information.  A Development Permit process will not begin until you have attended a Pre-Application meeting.  You can request a meeting by contacting the Village office with a minimum of two (2) days notice. 

Filling out the application forms prior to the Pre-Application meeting may make the meeting go faster. 

How Much Does it Cost?

Fees associated with Development Permits, Subdivision, Planning, and enforcement are available in the Village's Master Rates Bylaw.

Fees can also be found on the back page of the Development Permit Application Form. 

How Long Does It Take To Get a Development Permit?

The issuance of a Development Permit in accordance with the notice of decision is subject to the condition that it does not become effective until twenty-one (21) days after the date of issue of the notice of decision.  (This is to allow for any person affected by the decision to be able to make an appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.

Should this decision be appealed within twenty-one (21) days after the notice of decision has been issued, this permit shall not become effective until the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board has determined the appeal and the permit may be modified or nullified thereby.

An appeal shall be made by serving a written notice of appeal and submitting the applicable fee to the Secretary of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board within twenty-one (21) days after:

  • the date the order, decision or permit issued by the Development Authority was publicized in accordance with this Bylaw; or
  • the forty (40) day period referred to in Section 4.3(7) of this Bylaw has expired

If the development authorized by a permit is not commenced within twelve (12) months from the date of the issue of the development permit, and completed within three (3) years of the date of issue, the permit is deemed to be void, unless an extension to this period is granted by the Development Authority.

How Long Is A Development Permit Valid For?

The proposed development must be started within twelve (12) months of the date of the Development Permit, and has to be completed within three (3) years of the date of issuance.


If you are building a house, accessory building or simply adding a pre-manufactured building onto your property, a building permit may be required. 

A Development Permit is not a building permit. Should you require a building permit or any other required permits, you must contact a company that issues permits (building, electrical, plumbing, etc.). 


What is An Occupancy Permit and Why Do I Need One?

An Occupancy Permit is the final permit needed prior to an applicant "occupying" the building. Approval of this permit is based on all the required Safety Codes permits (building, Electrical, Gas, Plumbing and Septic) having their final inspections and approvals. These Safety Codes "permit Services Reports" will need to be itemized on the Occupancy Permit Application Forms and attached to the application, along with the required fee. Once all of this information is received, an Occupancy Permit will be issued, and the building will be approved to occupy. If any Safety Codes permits are required for a development, then an Occupancy Permit will also be required. 

What Other Permits/Approvals Do I Need?

Depending on the type of development you are proposing, several other types of permits/approvals, including but not limited to, may be required (subject to applicable fees):

  • Safety Codes Permits - the landowner is responsible to comply with the provincial Safety Codes Act by obtaining the applicable Safety Codes Permits (building, electrical, plumbing and gas). 
  • Alberta Environment & Parks - if developing near, or impacting a waterbody
  • Alberta Transportation - if developing within a certain distance of a provincial highway
  • Alberta Culture and Tourism - If developing on a designated Historic Resource Value area
  • Fisheries and Oceans Canada - If impacting fish bearing waters.


There may be many other aspects that impact your proposed development. It is our role to advise you of these matters. If you are planning to apply for a development permit in the Village of Innisfree, it will be helpful to review the Land Use Bylaw and contact us for more information. 

Related Documents:

Bylaw 636-19 - Municipal Development Plan 

  • The purpose of a Municipal Development Plan is to plan for the future use of land. It is a key policy document that communicates the long-term desired land use for the community. It is a high-level plan that shows how the community is expected to change over time and the shape it will take in the future.

Bylaw 648-20 - Inter-Municipal Development Plan

  • The purpose of the IDP is to provide guidance to the Village
    of Innisfree and the County of Minburn as they negotiate
    their intermunicipal relationship over the long term. It
    provides policy direction and suggestions for creating
    mutually beneficial agreements with respect to land use
    planning, economic development, social programming,
    infrastructure and other issues. The intent is that through
    collaboration and joint decision-making on matters of
    mutual interest that both municipalities will continue to
    thrive. The time horizon for this IDP is 30 years.

    The Village and the County agreed that formalizing a strong
    working relationship through the preparation of an IDP
    would be key to the Village’s long term success.
    The IDP:
    • Supports coordinated economic development activity;
    • Strengthens and builds upon existing policies and
      practices related to intermunicipal planning and
    • Discusses the potential implications of the proposed
      Highway 16/Highway 870 interchange and eventual
      removal of at-grade accesses to Highway 16; and,
    • Is a statutory planning document pursuant to the
      Municipal Government Act.

Bylaw 628-17 - Land Use Bylaw

Bylaw 642-19 - Development Authority Bylaw

  • Pursuant to Section 624 of the MGA, the authority to exercise development powers and duties under the Land Use By-Law is vested in the person or persons appointed by Council resolution.

Bylaw 643-19 - Subdivision Authority Bylaw

  • Pursuant to Section 210 of the MGA, Council may by resolution delegate the position of Subdivision Authority to the Chief Administrative Officer, a designated officer, a municipal planning commission or any other person or organization including a Planning Agency.

Bylaw 661-20 - Subdivision & Development Appeal Board

  • Subject to Sections 678 and 685 of the MGA, the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board shall hear appeals from any person affected by an order, decision or development permit issued by the Development Authority, who appeals within the time limitations and in the manner indicated in the MGA.

Municipal Commercial Tax Incentive Policy 6900-01

  • The purpose of this policy is to:
    • Stimulate commercial expansion and new commercial development within the Village of Innisfree
    • Increase the commercial assessment base in the Village of Innisfree